The Magic of Color at Your Fingertips: Painting Texture Depth with Underglazes
June 28, 29, 30, 2019
3 day workshop
This hands-on workshop is designed to introduce you to the painterly surface treatment as an alternative way to traditional glazing techniques. You will learn how to use underglazes, underglaze pencils and chalks to create multi-layered, colorful imagery. Julia will explain and demonstrate various painting techniques on bisque ware to create layers and depth of field in surface design. You will practice painting on a simple tile before you move on to three-dimensional form. Bring your favorite brushes, source images and eagerness to get bold with colors. You don’t have to know how to paint or draw.
Price: 237€ $270. To Register: Please go to Payment Page for PayPal link
Julia teaches college level ceramics in Bay Area, California. Her work is an exploration of the relationship between sculptural form and surface treatment. During the course, Julia will demonstrate how to integrate images using the three-dimensionality of sculpture. Her imagery is a personal exploration with the use of dreams, nightmares and reality.
- Fee includes an additional use of the studio for 4 more days after the workshop
- Firing for the students can be arranged for a nominal fee
All the underglazes will be provided and sponsored by AMACO
List of materials that participants will need:
- bisque-fired pieces that can be used for underglaze decoration (tiles, bowls, cups, anything that has enough surface for painting)
- small soft brushes of multiple sizes
- pencil, eraser, paper to do preliminary sketches, scissors, reference material for drawings